Is Uber better than Taxis in Melbourne?
Is Uber better than Taxis in Melbourne? This is the question everyone wants to find the answer for?
Lets dive straight in and make it very clear for all the customers who are interested in finding this out. The taxis we refer in this article are the taxis in our fleet.
Positive points of Uber:
- Mostly Cheap but with a catch
- Private Car
Lets elaborate these points a little:
- Mostly Cheap: Most of the time ubers are a little cheaper than taxis in Melbourne but surge can happen anytime to anyone.
- Private Car: Most of the ubers are private cars of individuals driving them.
Positive points of Taxis in Melbourne:
- Extra Security
- More availability
- Price is stable/flat
- Experienced Drivers
- Easier for infants and Kids (Baby seat requirement)
Lets look into these points a little:
- Extra Security: Every single taxi in Melbourne is fitted with a camera. Having a camera means every single move of the customer is recorded. This works as a big positive point for drivers and passengers both.
- More availability: Ubers are less available in certain areas at certain times. I am not sure about someone else but from my personal experience, if I try to book an uber for a certain time in future of 30 mins. It just fails and never gives me any reason. This was the biggest point which turned me towards taxis again.
- Price is stable/flat: Uber is cheap but whenever surge happens in Uber, Same price jumps up twice or even more in Uber. However its not the case in taxis and the price stays the same.
- Experienced Drivers: Most of the drivers are experience hand and are professionals. Gone are the days when your taxi will be dirty or driver is looking shabby. Nowadays all the taxis are giving tough competition in regards to cleanliness. Most of the taxis in out fleet are Mercedes E class which doesn’t charge any extra money.
- Easier for infants and Kids (Baby seat requirement):
- children aged under 1 year must travel in the back seat, but do not have to use a child restraint
- children aged 1 year and over must be in their own seat, with their own properly fastened seatbelt if there is no child restraint or booster seat available
In Victoria, taxis do not have to provide child restraints or booster seats for customers. However, they must have at least one anchorage point if passengers want to bring their own child restraint.*
However you can not travel in Uber without a baby/ car seat for infants.
*Source: VicRoads Website
Lets elaborate fares issue a bit more.
Most of the time uber app shows a cheaper fare but the biggest problem our regular customers who has tried Uber tell us is that, tsurge could happen anytime which means they had to pay double the price of what they should have paid on a ordinary day or which was displayed on the app.
Whereas with Maxi Cab Melbourne using their maxi cab, this is not the case. If you pick the fixed price option provided by maxi cab melbourne. The price will never change regardless of the time, day, distance or traffic.
People Mover Vans or Maxi Cabs
Uber doesnt have a people mover option which means if you are more than 5 passengers travelling to airport, you will have to hire 2 ubers however with Maxi cab Melbourne, Our maxi cabs are all 10 – 11 seaters and a plenty of room for luggage.
At Maxi Cab Melbourne, we even have special airport service which is an 12 seater van which can carry upto 11 passengers. Maxi cab works out to be lot cheaper than uber almost all the time.
Wheechair Accessible Taxi (WAT)
At Maxi Cab Melbourne, Most of our maxi cab are fitted with wheelchair ramps, which means we can take upto 6 passengers, luggage and a wheelchair in a maxi van. The best part is all of our drivers are wheelchair accessible taxi certified.
Verdict: Its very clear and obvious that taxis are a much better choice than Ubers in Melbourne.
Call Maxi Cab Melbourne now on 0469 283 466 or Book Online now.